Often, before going to bed at night I think about what I’ll do the next day. Usually I do this while staring at the mirror, brushing my teeth. Sometimes it’s as simple as I should make filter coffee tomorrow or as twisted as What if I immersed the whole chip in a water chamber, there would be much less evaporation through it (by the way, that was a very bad idea).
But last Friday, I looked at the mirror and thought Tomorrow, I’ll ask her to marry me. Just like that…
I know, marriage is over-rated, divorce is difficult, if you don’t want kids why would you even go through the hustle, blah blah blah… I know, but I realized I have been thinking about it for over a year and when you consider my age (soon 32) and my weird portfolio of ex-partners… Well, yeah let’s go through that first (I hope they’re not reading):
1. In high school, a philosophy professor (and the source of my despise towards that field of social sciences). FYI I was at legal age and she wasn’t my professor (she used to teach at the university) so nothing illegal there.
2. First year of university, fellow biology major. She was cute but also the most stubborn person I’ve ever met. It only lasted a year.
3. Some guy, to persuade myself that I could think straight (see the pun there?).
4. The med student that I cheated on my boyfriend with (I know, I’m not proud of it). She later became a psychiatrist and probably still hates me.
5. A gorgeous looking but very often depressed woman from Martinique. She worked as a translator (German-French) and hated everything about her life. When we broke up she said that she had dated me just because I was good looking and that besides this, nothing about me was of any interest. I somehow managed to register only the 1st part of the sentence and took it as a compliment.
6. A young woman who operated forklifts in a sports shop’s warehouse, who somehow managed to tell me that I was the 21st woman she had slept with right after we had done it. It never went further than that.
7. A quite unstable (psychologically I mean) ambulance driver who was kind enough to drive me home and to come upstairs for a coffee although it was 2 a.m. Her shift had already ended, so nothing illegal there either. We dated for a year. She managed to make me quit smoking but for some reason she started herself right after we broke up.
8. Another guy. Because you never make the same mistake only once. A very nice person though. He’s now dating a ravishing girl who is so in love with him. They are a cute couple and he deserves to be happy.
9. An accounting assistant who dated me just to get back at her ex-girlfriend (who somehow was into me) and broke my heart in the process.
10. A very big mistake in the person of the drummer of my old band. As they say in the show called “How I met your mother” you are ought to make one last (and huge) mistake before you meet the right one.
11. And finally the dark haired, blue eyed elf who is a librarian by profession and a pianist by passion, who’s been following me all around Europe for the last couple of years.
In my mind, there’s no doubt that she’s the one, so I just decided. And that was on Wednesday. The problem was that I had no idea how to do it. She was in Germany for a couple of days and would be back Saturday evening. I did some research, got some advice from my sister and friends then I spent the Saturday afternoon ring-hunting like a Nazgul.
At the end, when I found the right ring, and gave it to her (just as she had arrived home from a 4 days-long trip, before she could even catch her breath) she somehow didn’t throw it back at my face and accepted to marry me.
So, yes, I got engaged.